Simply Washrooms are proud to support World Toilet Day on 19 November.
World Toilet Day is a day to raise awareness and inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis – a topic often neglected and shrouded in taboos. Today, 2.4 billion people are struggling to stay well, keep their children alive and work their way to a better future – all for the want of a toilet.
This year, the theme of ‘toilets and jobs’ focuses on how sanitation, or the lack of it, can impact on livelihoods.
THE TOP LINE FACTS:
- 2.4 billion people live without improved sanitation (World Health Organization WHO)/UNICEF 2015).
- One in ten people has no choice but to defecate in the open (WHO/UNICEF 2015).
- Diarrhoea caused by poor sanitation and unsafe water kills 315,000 children every year (WASHwatch 2016).
- Disease transmission at work, mostly caused by poor sanitation and hygiene practices, causes 17% of all workplace deaths (International Labour Organization (ILO) 2003).
- Loss of productivity due to illnesses caused by lack of sanitation and poor hygiene practices is estimated to cost many countries up to 5% of GDP (Hutton 2012).
For more information on this great charity and to offer your support please visit: